Welcome to the Trailerhood!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Would It Be Excessive....

....To have a second bike trailer? That is what Steve (jokingly) asked me yesterday while we were hauling our 100lbs of groceries back from the store. I wish that I had taken a picture of us, I'm certain we looked completely ridiculous. Let me paint a picture for your imaginations:

We were riding the sporty two seater bike with our new rack behind my seat, and we were pulling our kids in the bike trailer. We stuffed the dog food in the back of the trailer, with room for maybe two small bags on top of that, I crammed my extra large back pack full of 100 ct paper plates, 5 lb bag of potatoes, 3lb bag of apples, 1 pkg of pull ups, and a few odds and ends. The kids held some bread, chips, and other light smooshable things, and then we stuffed some bigger items under their feet. The bottled water had to be tied onto our bike rack and I wasn't sure it would make it all the way back without falling (but I should have had more faith in Steve's tieing skills). Then the last two small bags were hung on my handlebars, and off we went. I laughed the whole way back, imagining just how funny we must have looked to other people.

I'm glad we can ride our bikes to the store, even if it means having to find a way to get it all back to the trailer. It's good exercise and excellent family time. And, it's also fun to get all those crazy looks when we ride past people on the two seater (lovingly referred to as our SUV)....the world hasn't seen many two seaters I'm afraid. I'm hoping that by the time we move off the base we see someone else who was inspired by our family style bike rides and is also sporting the two seater bicycle, maybe even pulling a trailer.

So as for getting a second trailer....I don't think so, but perhaps a snazzy overhead storage container for the bike trailer like they put on cars (I'm picturing a homemade version for the bike trailer consisting of a gray tub from walmart held in place with a few bungies), and a nice new basket to hang on the front of the bike. Or I guess we could just buy less groceries........

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment