Welcome to the Trailerhood!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Timbren SES and Ford Trailer Sway Control

We just took our cargo trailer 800 miles. The 2011 SD Sway Control and the Timbrens were tested on this run.

Total weight for the trailer was 12.5 klbs and an extra 1klbs of stuff in the bed of the truck. I had a new 2.5 in hitch, but it was too tight of a fit. I was within the capacity of the 2" hitch so I used it. It was late and I had already installed the sway control balls on the 2.5 in hitch, so I left it off that night for the short drive back to the park. The next morning, I decided that I would install the sway control if it was needed. It was a long drive so I went a little faster than I prefer when towing. I went around 70-75 mph and the fuel economy reflected it. I was getting around 9mpg at 75mph, 9.7mpg at 70mph and 10.5mpg at 65mph.

Mileage wasn't the point to this update...First thing was the Timbren SES. It was great! I was impressed with how much smoother the bumps were with the springs installed. I thought there would be a slight improvement, but not this much. I can see how they can extend the life of the springs, hitch and trailer. I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a truck.

Second item was the Trailer Sway Control feature on the 2011 SD . I had hauled the cargo trailer empty (4,500 lbs) and noticed it didn't seem to sway as much as before. I figured it was due to having a dually (heavier truck = trailer has less influence on truck). However, I was surprised when towing the trailer with a load. I towed the trailer 1,000 miles with the 2005 F250 6.0l CC SB FX4, 4,000 miles with the 2008 F250 6.4l CC SB 4X4, and now 1,600 miles with the 2011 F450. The difference between the 05/08 and the 11 is night and day in regards to trailer sway. The trailer fully loaded was unwieldy with the prior models and sway control was a must. I got a second sway control system to tame it. This time, loaded with 8,000 lbs, no sway control was needed. I thought, "Man, I did an awesome job loading this trailer". Then I remembered the Sway Control could be turned off. Since I was on open highway with no traffic, I turned it off. Immediately there was a difference. Every turn, every passing truck caused significant sway. If the trailer had been swaying that much, I definitely would have pulled over and hooked up the sway bars. Turned it back on in the middle of sway from passing a truck and it immediately cut it out. It was amazing. Ford knocked one out of the park with what I consider to be the best feature since the Integrated Brake Controller with the new Sway Control! And, they added the factory 5th wheel prep on the same model!

No comments:

Post a Comment