Welcome to the Trailerhood!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Camping in Fall Creek Falls, Tn

We just got back from a weekend of tent camping with our friends in Fall Creek Falls, Tn. It was an amazing park, and it showed, the place was packed! I figured we would be camping alone, since that was pretty much how it had been at other parks after Sept 1st. But not here, everyone seemed to be there for just the weekend, and trying to enjoy every minute.

We arrived very late on Friday night and the site was easy to find (good scouting by Nic and Danielle). We unpacked and got the tent set up...well Nic and Steve set it up, the girls chatted and took the kids to the bathroom. We proceeded to stay up even later talking and catching up, which made 7 am (possibly earlier) come really really early.

Since Saturday would pretty much be the only day we had to do anything, we tried to make the most of it. We spent the first of the morning chatting and eating. Later the kids got to go play on the amazingly nice playground that was close to our site. Steve and I squeezed in a short bike ride around the camp loops, well, I say it like we were riding together, it was more like Steve would go super fast in front of me and then eventually slow down or turn around and let me catch up (more on Steve's biking adventures later).

Later we went for a hike to see the falls. I'm not sure exactly how long we hiked, but I do know that I was amazed that the kids made it as far as they did without whining or throwing tantrums. I think they actually had a great time climbing the trails. We took some beautiful pictures but even they couldn't capture the beauty of this place. Enormous trees, hills, and valleys, all sorts of vegitation everywhere, and sheer cliffs at the end of the trails that absolutely made me sick to my stomach, but the view was unbelievable.

After our hike was over was when the 'real fun' began. Steve noticed that he had tiny little ticks (I'm talking the size of the eye of a needle, that tiny), and whisked one of the kids off to the shower, while I picked what I could off of the other until we could get to the shower. I hate ticks, HATE THEM. Even if I just hear them mentioned I start itching and get grossed out. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the shower before they bit me a million times, but the shower did seem to get rid of them (I hope), just left me with lots of itchy spots that Steve insists I should not scratch. The kids lucked out and don't seem to have many bites at all and as for the dogs, well I don't really know at this point, but they are going to get a thorough bath as soon as it gets warmer outside.

After everyone got cleaned up it was pretty much like every camping trip goes...fire, dinner, chatting, laughing, smores, and I think Danielle busted out some Koom Ba Ya at some point in the evening :)

Sunday was clean up day and once that was done we got to drive to the falls overlook for pictures and more terrifying heights. I just can't say it enough, this place was gorgeous!!! If you are scared of heights I would suggest you stop at a couple of the overlooks but be warned, there are no guard rails, there is nothing between you and a million foot plummet to the ground...except lots of sharp trees and rocks somewhere along the way. I am glad I went but also glad I did not go to the edge. It would have been really sad to get that far and then faint from the view and....well you know.

The best part of the trip wasn't the view or the amazing park, it was the chance to camp with friends and catch up on everything we have missed out on in the months we have been apart. Camping is fun, but that fun is magnified if you are in good company. Thanks Nic, Danielle, and Violet for a fabulous trip....we can't wait to do it again!

Oh, and about Steve's biking adventures....well he went on a little ride by himself Sunday morning after our huge breakfast. When he came back he had a silly grin on his face, a swollen, bleeding knee and an oozing arm. Apparently when you are on a bike trail and you think, I should turn around, looks like it's getting steeper, you should take your own advice and stop, turn around and get out of there before you fall over your handle bars and crash your body into some tree stumps and rocks :)
Luckily he's fine, no broken bones, just a bruised body and ego.

What a wonderful weekend to welcome fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment