Welcome to the Trailerhood!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Do I Miss the Money?

I get quite a few questions about why I left the Submarine community and if I’m happy with my decision, especially based on the fact that I gave up lots of $$$ to switch. There are plenty of days dreaming of a nice boat (or boats), more construction/more land towards our retirement plans, dive vacations, better brewing equipment…the list could go on forever. And, I think of how much of those dreams could come true with that extra $$$. Then I quickly come down to Earth and enjoy time with Katie and the kids (though not right at the moment), and realize that it was worth every penny not earned!

Today, as the clock is ticking past a week deployed, I had one of those moments that reminded me of why I gave up those bonuses. No, it wasn’t because I’ve found a sexier mission, more job satisfaction (last tour absolutely, verdict is still out for this one), or a better way to serve my country; it was a simple microwaved meal.

Why a microwaved meal? Here’s a photo and I’ll explain…


One simple photo that leads to a plethora of reasons I’m glad I gave up a huge amount of salary (really, it’s would almost be like a 50% increase in salary!) One simple photo of an even simpler meal. A salad, frozen burrito, chips and salsa, and a beer.

If you look into the photo, you will see the food elegantly resting on paper plates. Plates and food that, though the burrito was frozen, were freshly purchased. Yes, a week into the deployment and the vegetables show no signs of disappearing in the near future. The lettuce is wilting as expected being about a week old, but the re-supply is stocked and plentiful.

The carrots and beer were purchased today from a store with plentiful fruits and vegetables. I see no signs of the salad bar turning into a pudding bar after a few weeks. No, I see regular walks to the store to refill on perishables that a Submariner dreams of after a month of being underway. And yes, that’s a beer that I am having on deployment. Zack said Rota wasn’t a deployment, well, more colorfully, but that’s the gist. Though I doubt many Airman know what a real deployment is ;-), I have to say I might agree this is not a typical Navy deployment thus far.

So, as I mentioned, lots of walks to the store in the future. Walks on the ground, breathing fresh air rather than recycled flatulence with overtones of lube oil. Walks and bicycle rides that go on for miles with ever changing scenery instead of wire and paint covered metal walls.

Back to the photo. You’ll notice the table is a picnic table. I am able to eat outside rather than in the same metallic tomb I have previously mentioned. Tonight there were birds chirping, stray cats were killing chirping birds, clouds were rolling, and sounds of basketball were heard in the distance. All things foreign to a Submariner.

You’ll see a window in the background. I can look out a window anytime and see the sky, the clouds, the trees, the ground and other people. Or, I can draw the curtains and enjoy some peace and quiet. Unfortunately, many here do not know how nice it is for this ‘deployment’ and have never experienced 9 people crammed into 60 square feet of living space. Thus, I hear complaints of how bad the conditions are because it takes a few days to get internet set up, TVs do not work and the gym hours suck...Gym...Ha! 

Internet. Even as I type this, I remain connected to the world through wires and radio waves. Internet was a rarity onboard the boat that was used for mission purposes and checking to see how you were screwed by the detailer when you finally got orders. Here, internet's expected to be everywhere on deployment and you can hardly turn a corner without finding a hotspot. Internet is even available in your room for a fee!

So. For those that ask why I would want to leave, take this one simple meal and expand it infinitely into each day, and I think you can get a taste of why I’m happy I have given up so much $$$. Submariner’s give up more than most can imagine, and for those still doing it…I drank a beer for you tonight before 2200…and I just might do the same tomorrow…and maybe the day after!

Now, I’m off to call Katie and the kids to tell them good night and I’ll sleep well knowing that in the morning, the sun will rise and I’ll be able to step outside and I will see if it peaks out from the clouds without bruising my eye on a scope. And, I'll just listen for the phone (which I hope doesn't ring) instead of waking to the messenger's repetitive whisper of my name. Tomorrow...I will worry about tan lines instead of a nuclear tan.


Cheers to all those who are serving, especially the Submariners...I miss you all, but I'm glad I'm not there.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment