Welcome to the Trailerhood!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Ford's Systemic Customer Service Issues

Here are my thoughts on the systemic customer service issues that are based on some forum discussions. I have receive numerous comments echoing my experience over the last few days...

My F-450 has been to three different dealerships throughout the 10 month timeframe totalling more than two months out of service. Hard to explain to kids why so many camping trips and learning opportunities had to be cancelled during that time. Ford Motor Company has always quickly made it clear that dealerships are franchises not owned by Ford Motor Company and they are not responsible for their actions. However, the lack of customer service from Ford Motor Company seems to be emulated by all the dealerships. Not to mention, if you allow a business to bear your logo, you should probably enforce some set of business practice rules (similar experience with Cingular quite a few years ago, however, they were able to keep me as a customer by correcting their franchise's poor practices). I move frequently so my experience ranges more than 30+ dealerships over almost two decades. My sales experiences have always been great, minus one visit about 15 years ago. However, service centers are typically slow, unresponsive and/or incompetent.

Adequate service is as simple as a phone call when an oil change is completed or a call to say, we are still working on your issue but have not identified it yet. How do you explain Ford Motor Company's Regional Customer Representative that was assigned to my case not following up as promised, not returning any emails or voicemails, or asking if the issue was addressed? 

Two weeks I went without any updates from Ford Motor Company or its franchise dealership that was diagnosing the vehicle with a 'technical assist' from Ford Motor Company. The end result was a simple phone call from the dealership stating it was ready for pick up. Ford Motor Company has still not followed up to close out the case. 

I will contrast this with my experience with Volkswagen. Four dealerships so far in the last three years for purchase and service. I have felt like I owned a luxury vehicle with my experiences at every dealership I visited. The salesman was the only one that I felt had a little less knowledge than he should, but he was fairly new. It is hard for any salesman to know everything and I do not expect that since I heavily research any vehicle I consider purchasing. And, I just bought new tires and had service performed for free, not because my car has actual issues, but because VW wants to reassure customers due to the recent TDI claims. I love that car and I doubt that it actually pollutes anywhere near what my F-450 does, but that is off topic.

So, now we are at a point where it is completely in Ford Motor Company's hands until they respond (there is a time limit). I was going to include the discussions on a Ford Motor Company Facebook site, but it appears to have been removed and I did not think to print early enough (you got me there). However, I still have plenty of examples of bad service. I have provided my final notification to the email provided by my assigned regional customer support representative that has not contacted me since September 21st despite emails and phone call attempts and a letter that was received by Ford Motor Company on November 23rd. I also sent it to the message thread from the Ford Service Facebook page administrator that has asked at least twice about my vehicle 'for clarification'. I am sure that it is unclear if it is at a dealership when the response is 'no'. I realize their job is to fish for documentation rather than to actually support a customer and that the recorded phone calls are not to ensure customer service. Supposedly, the page administrator will reply within an hour (typically). The hour is up since receiving the letter and no acknowledgement that it was received as I requested.

So, now off to the post office...



No comments:

Post a Comment